Guides - Foreigners In The UK
Fri, Jun


QUESTION: I have applied for a settlement visa application 3 weeks ago in Nigeria. I married my wife a year ago in the UK on an (overstayed) visit visa. When I got back to Nigeria to do my spouse visa application, we found out she was pregnant with our first child. It would be devastating to be refused or delayed to go support my wife through the pregnancy and birth period!


QUESTION: I am here in UK with my family on visit visa. My wife and a daughter are British nationals. We both are lawyers by profession.

We married in Kenya. We applied for my daughter’s (13 months old) passport from Nairobi. When we reached the UK, we found out that my wife was two months pregnant and unfortunately fell down from the stairs. Obviously I can't leave my wife in this critical condition. Her pregnancy is really very critical.

Is it possible for me to apply for a spouse visa in the UK under critical conditions? If yes, what are my chances to win my case here under discretionary leave? How long it takes after applying?

QUESTION: I recently got married and my wife is to get her first Pakistani passport. I just need to know..... is it a good idea to change her surname to mine? She used her maiden name until now.
Is it mandatory for a woman to adopt her husband name or not? Would it create any problem for her spouse visa application at the British Embassy in Pakistan?


Dear Reader,

In law there is nothing to say that your wife cannot use her maiden name. By keeping her name as it is, it may be easier for her when she makes an application for entry clearance. Once she has sorted out application and is the UK then she may look to change her name to yours.

Just remember that legally it makes no difference.

Hope this helps.

Greenfields Solicitors
Tel: 020 8884 1166

10 January 2012


Joining with your partner or spouse in the UK

Applying for settlement as a spouse or partner: Form SET(M) and supporting documents

Marriage Visas - All you need to know


Disclaimer: The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. Information is offered for general information purposes only, based on the current law when the information was first displayed on this website.

 You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Greenfields Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor on 020 8884 1166.


Dear Foreigners in UK,

I am fighting to bring my daughter here to the UK with me. She is only 7 years old and she used to live with her daddy before I left Bangladesh. 

Now her father left her and she is sick. She is suffering in Bangladesh, but UK immigration officials just don't want to understand. I need help. I need to save my daughter's life before she dies.

I got Indefinite Leave to Remain in 2010 and my two other kids have British citizenship.