English language requirement introduced for partners applying from Cambodia

The English Language requirement exemption which has been in place for partners applying to settle in the UK from Cambodia will be removed from 1st October 2012.

From this date, if you are a non-European migrant applying in Cambodia and you want to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK, you will need to show that you can speak and understand English.

You must demonstrate one of the following: that you are a national of a majority English-speaking country; or you have passed an English language test approved by the UK Border Agency at the appropriate level; or you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above.

This requirement will apply if you are applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or prospective civil partner of a UK citizen or a person settled in the UK.

If you are using an approved English language test to meet this requirement, you must demonstrate English language ability at A1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference (speaking and listening).

You will be required to provide evidence with your application that you have passed an acceptable English test with one of the UK Border Agency approved test providers.

Currently there is only one approved test provider in Cambodia. You can find details of this provider on the Springboard4Cambodia website.

You can find further guidance on the English language requirement page.

Do I need an accession worker card for each employer?

200 Indonesian performers to perform at Festival of Love in Manchester