Till 26 November, the non-European workers can apply for the old immigration schemes 19 November 2008. The UK Border Agency has announced the closing time for applications regarding the old immigration schemes which will be replaced by the Points Based System – Tiers 2 and 5, on 27 November 2008. As these tiers open, the UKBA will close down these old schemes:
- Work permits
- Sportspeople and entertainers
- Overseas qualified nurses and midwives
- Representatives of overseas media organisations
- Airport ground crew
- Some seafarers including those working on vessels on one-port voyages
- Missionaries and minsters of religion
- China graduate work experience scheme
- Training and work experience scheme
- Overseas government employees
- General agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
- Domestic workers in diplomatic households
- Voluntary workers
- Working holidaymaker scheme
- Au pairs
- Gap year
- Japan: youth exchange scheme
The PBS only covers migrants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
The persons who would like to make an application for one of the closing schemes must submit it to the UKBA by the following dates:
- postal applications will be considered if they have a postmark of 26 November 2008 or before;
- applications by courier must be received at UKBA commercial partner by 5pm on Wednesday 26 November 2008; and
- e-apps will close on midnight 26 November 2008 and no further applications will be accepted.
Any applications received after this point will be rejected and returned.
Bulgarian and Romanian nationals and those impacted by the workers registration scheme will be unaffected by the above immigration rule changes. Businesses wishing to employ nationals of these countries do not need to be licensed as a sponsor.