New strict rules for Business visitors

They must apply for a dedicated new business visa.

16th October 2008: UK has introduced tougher rules for Business visitors to the country. Those wishing to come to the UK on business for up to six months must apply for a dedicated new business visa and prove they will be carrying out the following activities: attending meetings or conferences; arranging deals, negotiating or signing trade agreement or contracts; undertaking fact-finding missions, checking details or goods; and conducting site visits and promotional activities.

In June new visa routes for business, tourist and family visitors were announced in a shake-up of Britain’s short-term visa system. The Statement of Intent published today sets out in more detail how the new business visa will work.

Border and Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said: "Now we are introducing an Australian-style points system for selective migration, it makes sense to tighten visit visas at the same time.

"These changes will help create a fairer Britain with fair treatment for those who play by the rules, but tough action against those who break the law.

"We want the UK to stay open and attractive to both business and visitors. At the same time we are determined to deliver a system of border security which is among the most secure in the world."

The Home Office has also set out further detail on two new visitor routes for sportspeople and entertainers, recognising the important contribution these individuals make to British cultural life.

These new routes mean that an historical concession which allowed sportspeople and entertainers to come to the country for a short time without a work permit to take part in certain events will be retained.

Under these new routes the following people will now be able to enter the UK using a dedicated new visa: sportspeople and support staff coming for specific events, such as Wimbledon; amateur sportspeople joining UK amateur teams for up to six months; professional entertainers coming to the UK to take part in music competitions; amateur entertainers travelling to the UK for a specific engagement; professional entertainers coming to take part in a charity show or where they will receive no fee; and professional and amateur entertainers taking part in a ‘permit-free festival’ such as the Edinburgh Festival.

Does living together give me the same rights as a married person?

UKBA apologizes over Indian immigrant harassment