Skilled migrants, dependents, to get ID cards from next month

Migrants in several categories asked to enroll biometrics

11th December 2009:
If you are a skilled migrant worker, or their dependants, you will receive identity card for foreign nationals from next month.

It will be handed over after you successfully apply to extend your stay in the UK under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

This follows approval of certain regulations by Parliament. With this, all Tier 2 applications made inside the UK on or after 6 January 2010 will involve the enrolment of the applicant’s biometric information — fingerprints and photograph.

According to available information, the Home Office has also asked migrants in a number of other categories also to enroll their biometrics and obtain an identity card for foreign nationals, when they apply to extend their stay in the UK.

For more information, you can see the Identity cards section of the Border Agency website.

Recession sends men back to their parents

Who needs ID cards; how to get them