in

Unlike immigrants, Brits don’t go for Internet at home

Surprisingly for foreigners, 42 per cent of UK adults have no interest in universal broadband 15 June 2009: Foreigners in the UK spend considerable free time on the Internet logging on to friends and family back home. But, when it comes to the Brit, Internet connection at home is a big no, says a study.

In fact, a large number of Brit adults prefer not having an Internet connection at home, according to the research. It also reveals over 40 per cent of adults, who do not have access to the Internet at home, say they choose to remain unconnected, even when offered free Internet access.

The findings may surprise foreigners spending "good time" on the Skype trying to catch up with developments back home, but come in line with the Government’s Digital Britain report, to be published soon, which will develop the idea of universal broadband in the UK.

The Scotsman reports Ofcom’s survey found 20 per cent of adults, who do not have the Internet, are planning to get it in the next six months.

Figures reveal 70 per cent of UK adults currently have the Internet at home. The new research was aimed at finding why the remaining 30 percent are not connected.

The researchers observed people thinking of getting the Internet in the next six months, are more likely to be younger, to use it outside of the home, to be working and to have children.

Their main reason for accessing the Internet is for information (36 per cent), followed by communicating with friends and family (26 per cent), keeping up with technology (25 per cent), and because friends and family recommended it (25 per cent).

However, 42 per cent of adults claimed their main reason for not having the Internet at home is lack of interest or need.

The research found that such individuals tend to be older and retired and 61 per cent have never used a computer.

 

UK gates thrown open for `Chernobyl’ children

Have you made sure your tenancy deposit is protected?