How to apply to join a family member living permanently in the UK



If you’d like to join a partner or family member who is living in the UK permanently, you must apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa.

You have to apply for the above visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join your family member for six months or more.

If you’d like to come to the UK to visit a family member for up to six months, then you don’t need to apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa.

You may however need to apply for a Family Visitor visa. You can find that out by clicking here.

The family member you have to join in the UK can be: a British citizen; a foreigner who has settled in the UK; or someone who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK.

In case you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:
• join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
• join your parent
• come to look after your child
• come to be looked after by family

You need to apply in advance since you’ll get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks.

Visa application fees
If you are applying to join your partner or parent, you have to pay a fee of £956.

You also have to pay the same amount, that is £956, if you are applying to come to the UK to look after your child.

An adult who needs to be looked after by a relative must pay a fee of £2,141.

Apart from the visa application fee, you may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. It is advisable to check how much you need to pay before you apply. Click here to check.

If you are a holder of a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, you can work and study in the UK.

You however cannot work if you’ve got a visa to get married or to become civil partners.

A ‘family of a settled person’ visa holder can’t get public funds for her/himself and any dependants.

ALSO READ: Immigration Minister: Why temporary non-EEA migrants must pay Immigration Health Surcharge

Chinese New Year

David Cameron praises friendship between China and UK in a message to mark Chinese New Year – VIDEO

UKIP's East Midlands MEP Margot Parker

Why UKIP MEP is convinced EU is putting women in direct risk – VIDEO