Six month on, family still awaits Kingsley Burrell’s body

In a shocking revelation, the family of Kingsley Burrell has alleged that even after six months of his death controversial death following police contact, his body has still not been released for burial.



Father of two, Burrell died on March 31 after being picked up by West Midlands Police.

The 29-year-old’s sister, Kadisha Brown-Burrell, told The Voice it’s a long, ongoing grieving process.

Elaborating, Kadisha told The Voice they still could not put him to rest because they were still awaiting the Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation. They were still interviewing witnesses.

She said they were waiting to hear how Kingsley died. It’s not fair on his children. His little boy, who was with him, cannot stop talking about what happened on that day.

The family has all along been claiming Burrell had called the police on March 27, as he felt threatened by a group of men while out in Birmingham with his five-year-old son.

The officers, however, detained him under the Mental Health Act, though his family said he has no history of mental health illness.

Burrell was taken to a hospital. His family claimed Burrell had mysterious physical injuries and was not permitted to speak to them. Three days later, police were called to the unit and Burrell was later transferred to a mental health facility at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where he was declared dead.

Kadisha expressed hope her family would start getting answers at an upcoming pre-inquest hearing.

She said the pre-inquest hearing would provide them with an update on how far the IPCC has gone with the investigation, and also when they would release his body.

An IPCC spokesperson, meanwhile, told The Voice the watchdog was still probing Burrell’s death, obtaining so far more than 100 witnesses statements from the public, medical professionals, ambulance staff and 10 police officers relevant to the investigation who had some contact with Burrell.

Footage from CCTV cameras at four locations has been recovered and reviewed and hundreds of documents have been seized as part of the independent investigation, he said.


UKBA draws flak for not showing concrete steps against abuse during deportations

Apply now for passport and beat the New Year rush