Temporary concession for students attending state-maintained schools on exchange or educational visi

The concession to apply till 31 December 2009, unless there is further notification.


Tags: Non-EEA students, Border Agency, non-visa nationals

31st August 2009: Non-EEA students may apply to enter the UK for up to six months on an exchange or educational visit to a state-maintained school in the UK, under a concession agreed by the Border Agency.

The home office said the students will not require entry clearance, unless they are nationals of countries who require a visa to enter the UK.
This concession will apply till 31 December 2009, unless there is further notification.
If you are applying for entry clearance, or in the case of non-visa nationals, leave to enter at a port in the UK under this concession, you must satisfy the entry clearance or immigration officer you are under 18; a state-maintained school has approved the exchange scheme or educational visit and has taken you onto its roll. You should produce, for example, a letter from the school or the organisation arranging the exchange.
You also need to satisfy suitable travel, reception and care arrangements are in place for your stay here, and there are sufficient funds for your support.
Those sponsoring your visit, whether this is the school you are attending or another organisation, ensure that the arrangements for your care comply with relevant UK legislation – if you are under 16, or under 18 if you are disabled; and will be cared for on a full-time basis for more than 28 days by adults, who are not your parents or a close relative, this includes notifying the local authority of the care arrangements upon your arrival.
You will also be required to satisfy immigration officer you intend to leave the UK on completion of the exchange or educational visit, which must not be for more than six months; you have a parent or guardian in your home country responsible for your care – you should provide, for example, a letter from them consenting to the visit and to the arrangements for your care in the UK; and you are not intending to study at an educational institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence or accreditation from an accreditation body approved by the UK Border Agency, or at an independent fee-paying school.

Hundreds of children detained in immigration centres: report

Relocation of companies to immigration-friendlier countries to hit British market