Weekend of demonstrations: After losing loved ones in custody, families to protest

2 July to witness Kingsley Burrell’s family march in Birmingham
30th June 2011: Voices of concern are all set to be heard during demonstrations by two  families, which lost their loved ones in police custody. The demonstrations are scheduled to be held over the weekend.
Saturday 2 July will witness 29-year-old Kingsley Burrell’s family march in Birmingham. Others who lost their loved ones in similar circumstances too are expected to join the family in the march. They include the families of Mikey Powell, Sean Rigg and Smiley Culture.

The march, expected to be joined in by hundreds of people, is scheduled to pass by the Seacole mental health unit in Winson Green. It’s the place where Kingsley was detained. The march will then move to West Midlands police headquarters in the centre of Birmingham.

As per media reports, Kingsley on 27 March had called in the police for help after he and his 5-year-old son were intimidated by a group of youngsters. He was arrested and later sectioned before being taken to the Oleaster mental health unit.

Kingsley was subsequently transferred to the Seacole unit, where the police were again called on 30 March. Kingsley was taken to Queen Elizabeth hospital for treating a cut to his eye. He was discharged back to the Oleaster centre. Acording to the IPCC press release, he ‘suffered a serious medical condition’ and was transferred back to hospital where he died.

The next day, 3 July, will see the family and friends of Habib ‘Paps’ Ullah gather in High Wycombe on his third death anniversary of his death.

Already, his family, including his widow, children, mother, brother, sisters and cousins, have questioned the circumstances in which he died on 3 July 2008.

Only in December, the family attended the inquest in to Habib’s death. But, the jury was not able to complete the hearing of the evidence, after it came out that five police officers had amended statements earlier submitted to the IPCC, which conducted an investigation in to the death.

It’s been more than two years since Habib ‘Paps’ Ullah died, whilst being arrested during a routine stop and search in a car park in High Wycombe.

Euro judges says convicts cannot be sent back, if they face ‘ill-treatment’ at home

`Black men unsafe in police custody’ mother fighting for justice alleges