Exemptions from the worker authorisation requirement

If you are exempt from worker authorization, you will not need to obtain a work authorisation document to be employed in the UK and you will be able to take up employment on an unrestricted basis.

You are exempt from the requirement to obtain authorisation to work in the United Kingdom if you belong to one of the following categories:

·         you have leave to enter under the Immigration Act 1971 and that leave does not place any restrictions on taking employment in the United Kingdom;

·         you have completed 12 months continuous lawful employment in the UK, in the period ending on or after 31 December 2006;

·          you are also citizen of the UK, Switzerland or another EEA state, other than Bulgaria or Romania (dual nationals);

·         you are the spouse or civil partner of a UK national or person settled in the UK;

·         you have a permanent right of residence;

·         you are providing services in the UK on behalf of an EU/EEA employer conducting business, but not established in the UK (‘posted worker’);

·         you have a registration certificate confirming unconditional access to the UK labour market;

·         you are a member of a diplomatic mission, the family member of a diplomat or the family member of anyone who is entitled to diplomatic immunity;

·         you are a highly skilled person and obtained a registration certificate confirming this status;

·         you are working in a self-employed capacity.

Exemptions due to family member status are described under ‘Family Members’.


You can obtain confirmation of your exemption by applying for a ‘blue’ registration certificate, which will certify that you are exempt from the requirement to obtain an Accession worker card and that you can work in the UK without restrictions.

To apply, you will need to fill the application form, which you can download here: Form BR1 (Registration Certificate) .

If you have family members and they are nationals of a member state of the EEA, you may include them in your application.

Application for the certificate is not required by law, but is advisable.

The UKBA cannot provide written confirmation that your application has been received. It is best for you to send your documents by recorded or special delivery and to use the 'track and trace' facility on the Royal Mail website.

Highly skilled Individuals: worker authorisation not required

Conditions to work legally in the UK