Self-employed: rules to work in the UK for Bulgarians and Romanians


Chapter 2c of the guide: 'Living and Working in the UK for A2 nationals'

As an A2 national, if you are a Bulgarian or Romanian citizen and want to work in the UK, you will need to obtain permission to work before starting any employment, unless you are exempt from the requirement to do so.

You will not need authorisation to work if you are working in a self-employed capacity , and exercising a Treaty right on that basis.

You qualify as self-employed if:

• you run your own business and take responsibility for its success or failure;

• you can decide how, when and where you do your work;

• you deal with more than one paying customer, or have the choice to do so;

• you are free to hire other people to do the work for you or help you at your own expense;

• you provide the main items of equipment to do your work;

• you have a ‘contract to provide services’ or a 'contract for services'

Any person engaged in self-employment must have registered their business activities with the HM Revenue & Customs and be able to show they are paying appropriate national insurance contributions.


If you are exercising a Treaty right as a self-employed person, you are not required to obtain a document confirming this, but you are entitled to a ‘yellow’ registration certificate to confirm your status.

To apply, you will need to fill in pdficon_small.gifForm BR1 (Registration Certificate). This is the updated version, 21 June 2011.

If you have family members and they are nationals of a member state of the EEA, you may include them in your application.

The UKBA cannot provide written confirmation that your application has been received. It is best for you to send your documents by recorded or special delivery and to use the 'track and trace' facility on the Royal Mail website.

* The registration certificate issued on this basis will not confer you a right to take employment on any other basis than self-employment.


Read this guide in Romanian:


Read the other chapters:

Chapter 1: Right of Residence in the UK
Chapter 2a: Coming to work in the UK
Chapter 2b: Highly skilled Individuals
Chapter 2c: Self-employed: rules to work in the UK


by Federica Gaida
June 2010 ©All rights reserved


Disclaimer: The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. Information is offered for general information purposes only, based on the current law when the information was first displayed on this website.

 You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. 


MPs hear evidence on immigration points based system: Home Office, UKBA, lawyers


Working while studying: rules for Bulgarian and Romanian students in the UK