Students: worker authorisation not required

Rules for working students: A2 Nationals (Bulgarians and Romanians)




If you are a student in the United Kingdom, you may work:

·         up to 20 hours a week during term time and

·         full-time work during vacation periods from your course.

·         more than 20 hours a week during term time, if you are on a course of vocational training and a work placement is considered to be a necessary part of the course.


If you wish to work, you must first obtain a ‘yellow’ registration certificate confirming that you are an EEA national exercising your Treaty right as a student.

To qualify for a registration certificate as a student you will need to prove that:

·         you are enrolled at an approved college on the Register of Education Providers maintained by the Department for Education and Skills.

·         you have sufficient resources (belonging to yourself or to a sponsor) not to become a burden on the UK’s social assistance system during your time as a student.

The register of Education and Training Providers can be found here .


To apply, you will need to fill the application form, which you can download here: Form BR1 (Registration Certificate) .


If you have family members and they are nationals of a member state of the EEA, you may include them in your application.

You can apply at any time, but the document will not be issued until you have begun your course of study or your work placement has been arranged and verified by the UK Border Agency.

The UKBA cannot provide written confirmation that your application has been received. It is best for you to send your documents by recorded or special delivery and to use the 'track and trace' facility on the Royal Mail website.

If you wish to exercise your Treaty right as a student and do not intend to work you are not required to apply for a registration certificate.

If you are a student and wish to work for more than 20 hours a week during term time (other than as part of vocational training), you will need to obtain an Accession worker card for this purpose.

Voluntary Workers: worker authorisation not required

Self-employed: worker authorisation not required