How to regularize your immigration status in UK as a Spouse – VIDEO

Rumbi Bvunzawabaya, Principal Solicitor, RBM Solicitors, explains in this video how to make an Entry Clearance Application as a Spouse from your country of origin.

She addresses the case of a person who has lived in the UK unlawfully who meets the love of their life, gets married and now wants to regularise their immigration status.

Such people used to regularize their status by making an application for discretionary leave to remain on the basis of right to family life.

Ms Bvunzawabaya says the law has now changed and that is no longer possible. It is now very difficult to switch from not having leave to making an application on the basis of marriage.

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is encouraging people to return to their country of origin and make an application from there.

Ms Bvunzawabaya says that as a solicitor, she meets people daily who are afraid to go back, fearing that they wont be able to come back to the UK.

She affirms that they have handled successfully so many similar applications.

Before going back to your country to make a new application, Ms Ms Bvunzawabaya stresses that it is important to ensure you meet the requirements in terms of finances, that you have no criminal conviction, that you pass the English language test, that you don’t have TB, and that you have a convincing statement to deliver to the UKVI on why you overstayed in the UK.

Once you go back and apply for an Entry Clearance Application as a Spouse, it can take between three and six months for your application to be processed depending on where you submit it.

Ms Bvunzawabaya stresses that this is a very good way of regularizing your immigration status. “It takes a bit of courage to actually leave the comfort of the UK but the results are tremendous. People who have done that have come back happier.”

Disclaimer: The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. Information is offered for general information purposes only, based on the current law when the information was first published. You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Rumbidzai Bvunzawbaya, Tel 02476520999,

Where to go for Tuberculosis testing in Kenya for UK Visa application


Expand safe and regular routes for asylum seekers to come to UK, government told