Do I need to be in the UK to apply as a highly skilled individual on Form BR2?

QUESTION: Do I have to be currently living in the UK to apply for a registration certificate as a highly skilled individual, citizen of Bulgaria? I am currently living in the US but intend to move to UK. I don’t want to move before I have the certificate. Or is it a requirement (form BR2 says the application is for those applying as highly skilled and working in the UK)? Is there any other way?


In order to come to the United Kingdom as a highly skilled person if you are a national of Bulgaria or Romania, you will need to meet the points assessment UKBA using for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme and apply using application form BR2.

It is not a requirement to be present in the UK at the time of the application.

If you qualify as a highly skilled individual, UKBA will issue a registration certificate confirming that there are no restrictions on you taking employment in the UK.

There is no validity for the blue certificate so you can use it for as long as you want.

14 January 2011
Elisabeta Turcu

CK Solicitors
717 High Road -
E11 4RD
Tel: 020 8536 9911

Related articles:

Highly skilled Individuals: rules for Bulgarians and Romanians

Disclaimer: The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. Information is offered for general information purposes only, based on the current law when the information was first displayed on this website.

You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact CK Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor on 020 8536 9911.

Highly skilled Individuals: rules for Bulgarians and Romanians


UK remains open for business with India: Cable