FAQ for education providers, foreign students

UK Border Agency list of queries to help understand Tier 4 of points-based system


1st October 2009: Adults coming to the UK for studying are only permitted to spend three years on courses below degree level; and the students in the `General Student’ category must provide evidence of a proven track record of study before they come to the UK.
If you are unaware of some of these key changes to the immigration system as a result of Tier 4, you can get more information from the UK Border Agency, which has published “two new documents to assist education providers and students through the process of sponsorship under Tier 4 of the points-based system”.
The documents are designed to answer some of the most common Tier 4 questions that are asked by the sponsors and the students; and can be downloaded from the Border Agency website.
Log on and you get vital information like website address `HTTP://WWW.UKBA.HOMEOFFICE.GOV.UK/STUDYINGINTHEUK/’ which provides an overview of the different ways to come to the UK to study. It also contains a number of useful quick guides that help with your application.
Also available are details of visas. You can apply for a Child Student visa if you are between 4 and 17 years; Child Visitor, if you are 17 years old or under and you want to come to the UK to do a course for up to six months; Adult Student, if you are coming to the UK for your post-16 education; Student Visitor, if you are 18 years old or over and you want to come to the UK to do a course for up to six months, and you do not want to work while you are here.

New policy for Tier 4 sponsors and would-be students

Honour killings, Police and Crown Prosecution Service step up the offensive