How does change of visa affect permanent residence applications?

QUESTION: Currently, I am on a student visa and wish to apply for the Post-study work (PSW) visa next month. By the end of this year, I would have spent 7 years in the UK. However, I wish to find out if the PSW visa of two years would count towards the 10 years continuous long residence rule. Thanks.

ANSWER: As long as there is no break between your visas and you can prove to UKBA that you have lived lawfully in the UK continuously for 10 years without any significant absence, then the time spent on Post-study work should be considered with your application for Indefinite Leave to remain.

Should you wish to have a consultation with us please do not hesitate to contact us on 0208 884 1166.

Best wishes,


Greenfields Solicitors

Don’t bring counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, knives, or material during Olympics

Victim of hate crime, or subjected to racial abuse, you can look forward to better policing