I was refused asylum. Can I marry in the UK?

I made a claim for asylum in 2002 ago but it was refused and I have been in the UK ever since. I have now got a British girlfriend and we would like to get married, is there any way we can get married in the UK?

You can apply for a “Certificate of Approval” whereby you ask the Home Office for permission to marry your girlfriend.

Following a judgement in the Court of Appeal on 23 May 2007, the Home Office now accepts applications from individuals who do not have valid leave to enter or remain (such as illegal entrants, persons who have been refused leave to enter, but granted temporary admission or temporary admission pending the outcome of an application for leave to enter, and those who have overstayed their leave to remain) where there are exceptional, compassionate circumstances for granting a certificate of approval.

The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice.

For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Greenfields Solicitors on 020 8884 1166 for a Consultation with a Solicitor.

Labour under fire on immigration issue

I’m an illegal. How do I get legal status for my children?