My Residence Permit (Yellow Card) application was refused, can I work as self employed?


QUESTION: I am a Romanian national, doing an MSc in Supply Chain Management in the UK. 

Unfortunately my Residence Permit (Yellow Card) application has been refused because I did not provide a proper sickness insurance. Although I have provided fresh evidence to be taken into consideration, it takes too long to get a reply from the UK BA.

As I am financing myself, I would need to find a way to earn a living in the UK.

My kind request is if you could advise on how I could work as self employed.

ANSWER: You have the right to provide services on self-employment basis and you have to register with HMRC in this respect within 3 months since you started work. If do not do so, you might have to pay a fine of £300.

In order to register as self-employed, you have to follow the next steps:

  1. To apply for National Insurance Number calling on 0845 600 0643 to make an appointment for the interview;
  2. To register with HMRC to be issued with UTR (Unique Tax Reference).

When you attend the interview for NINO at Job centre Plus, you have to provide evidence regarding your identity, your residence in the UK and your self-employment status.

If your application is successful, you will be issued with National Insurance Number in the next 4 to 6 weeks from the date of the interview.

You can then apply to register as self-employed:

  • filling the online form from HMRC website or
  • you can phone on 0845 900 0444 or 
  • you can fill in the form SA1 and send it by post.

The Unique Tax Reference will be sent to you by post in the next 6 weeks.

We hope that the information is helpful. 

Read more on this issue:

How to apply for National Insurance

Self-employed: rules to work in the UK for Bulgarians and Romanians

Înregistrarea ca self-employed


by Mihaela Padure

Ennon & Co Solicitors


Email: [email protected]

T: 07788 425 984


The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Ennon & Co Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor.


Fight prejudices against Muslims, Europe asked

Adult Student Visa: how long can I stay under Tier 4?