Three ways to meet the English language requirement


Pass the test; have a bachelors degree in English; come from a majority English-speaking country.

english-speaking-class.png18 November 2010. The ability to meet the required English standard is a mandatory requirement for settlement applications for spouses and partners and for applications under the point-based system (PBS).

If you cannot meet this requisite, your application will be refused.

The level of English required for spouses and partners is basic, corresponding to level A! of the Common European Framework of reference.

The level of English required under the Point-Based System differs according to the different tiers or sub-tiers.

There are three ways you can meet the requirement.  You must to prove that you:

1) pass an English language test listed provided by a UKBA-approved English test provider which meets the standards of the Tier you are applying under; or

2) hold a degree that was taught in English as confirmed by the UK NARIC database as equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree; or

3) be a national of a majority English-speaking country, that is: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Christopher (Kitts) and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States of America

Some sub-categories of the Tiers System have further ways to meet the English proficiency requirement. In some cases, scoring the required points for attributes is sufficient (e.g. Tier 1 – Post-study work).

Related articles:

From 29 November, spouses and partners to show they can speak, understand English;
English language requirement for migrant partners now on video;

Help migrants learn English: support free ESOL courses








‘Nigerian Idol’ fever hits the UK

Visit visa: how long must I wait before my next visit?