Entertainment visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa


To take part in major arts festivals, music competitions and charity events, without a fee


MARCH 2011. An Entertainer Visitor is a person granted leave for a short time (for a period up to 6 months) to take part in major arts festivals, music competitions and charity events, without a fee.

You may do activities of business and sports visitor as well as entertainer visitor activities.

To apply under this category, you need to use Application form VAF1J or select "Visit" as the purpose of application and "(Business) Entertainer visitor" as the type of application while filling out your visa application online.

Eligibility criteria for a Entertainer Visitor visa

As well as meeting the normal requirements for a general visitor visa, you must show that you are or intend to:

• A professional entertainer coming to take part in a music competition;
• An internationally famous person coming to the UK to take part in broadcasts or public appearances, provided you are not being paid;
• Come to the UK for an audition provided this is not performed in front of an audience (either paying or non-paying);
• An amateur entertainer seeking entry as an individual performer for a specific engagement;
• amateur entertainers seeking entry as part of a group, such as a choir or youth orchestra coming for a specific engagement;
• A professional entertainer taking part in a charity concert or show where the organisers are not making a profit and you are receiving no fee;
• An amateur or professional entertainer taking part in a cultural event sponsored by a government or recognised international organisation, or at a major arts festival;
• A member of the technical or support staff of amateur or professional entertainers, who are attending for the same event.  Examples of such staff include dieticians, bodyguards and press officers;
• An official attending the same event as the entertainer.  Examples include choreographers, stage managers and designers.

Supporting documents for a Entertainer Visitor

As supporting documents, besides the normal requirements, you need to provide:

• Evidence of your invitation to attend the event/festival;
• Details of any hotel/flight bookings etc…;
• Supporting letter from any sponsors e.g. the group or entertainer you are travelling with;
• Evidence of your ability to participate in this event


Related guides:

How to apply for a General Visit Visa
Business visitors: how to successfully apply for a UK visa
Sports visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa
Academic visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa
Visiting family in the UK: How to apply for a family visitor visa


By Federica Gaida


Edited by Raheela Hussain,

Principal Solicitor

Greenfields Solicitors

March 2011

  For questions regarding the subject covered in this guide, PLEASE REGISTER IN OUR FORUMand post your question under the appropriate category (‘ENTERING THE UK: VISA ISSUES').

Greenfield Solicitors will answer them regularly.

  Disclaimer: The above article is meant to be relied upon as an informative article and in no way constitutes legal advice. Information is offered for general information purposes only, based on the current law when the information was first displayed on this website.

You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Greenfields Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor on 020 8884 1166.



Sports visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa

Academic Visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa