For non professionals to take part in sporting events or tournaments or to undertake a trial join
MARCH 2011. A Sports Visitor is a person granted leave for a short time (for a period up to 6 months) to take part in certain sports events.
You may do activities of business and entertainer visitor as well as sports visitor activities.
To apply under this category, you need to use Application form VAF1J or select "Visit" as the purpose of application and "(Business) Sports visitor" as the type of application while filling out your visa application online.
Eligibility criteria for a Sports Visitor
As well as meeting the normal requirements for a visitor visa (see under How to apply for a General Visit Visa, you must show that you intend to:
• take part a particular sporting event, tournament or series of events;
• take part in a specific one-off charity sporting event and that you will not be paid other than cash prizes or for board and lodging and other reasonable expenses;
• join as an amateur a wholly or mainly amateur team and that you will not be paid other than for board and lodging and other reasonable expenses;
• be a member of the support staff of a visiting sportsperson or an official (including those officials coming on a voluntary basis) attending the same event as the visiting sportsperson;
• undertake personal appearances or promotional activities;
• undertake a trial provided it is not in front of an audience, or training provided that they are not basing themselves here and they participate in friendly or exhibition matches only.
Supporting documents for a Sports Visitor
As supporting documents, you need to provide:
• Evidence of your invitation to attend the event
• Details of any hotel/flight bookings etc
• Supporting letter from any sponsors e.g. National Associations
• Evidence of your ability to participate in this event
How to apply for a General Visit Visa
Business visitors: how to successfully apply for a UK visa
Entertainment visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa
Academic visitors: a guide to apply for a UK visa
Visiting family in the UK: How to apply for a family visitor visa
FOREIGNERS IN UK
Edited by Raheela Hussain,
You should always seek advice from an appropriately qualified solicitor on any specific legal enquiry. For legal advice regarding your case, please contact Greenfields Solicitors for a Consultation with a Solicitor on 020 8884 1166.