Entitlement to the right of residence

As European Economic Area (EEA) nationals, Bulgarian and Romanian nationals can enter any EEA Member State, including the United Kingdom, and have an unrestricted right of residence there for the first 3 months.

You can remain legally resident in that state as long as they wish, if you are exercising a treaty right as a student; a self-employed person; or if you are not economically active and self-sufficient.

But you do not have an automatic right to reside as a worker.

You are entitled to live here:

·         without any restriction, for the first 3 months

·         indefinitely, if you are a student

·         indefinitely, if you are able to support yourself financially (self- sufficient)

·         indefinitely, if you have entered self-employment or are setting up a business (self-employed)

·         indefinitely, if you qualify as a highly skilled person

·         indefinitely, if you are exempt from the requirement of a work permit

·         for the length of your job, if you are subject to work authorisation and you do not fall in any of the categories mentioned above


Thus if you are exercising EC Treaty rights as a student, a self-employed or self- sufficient person, you can live in the UK on an unrestricted basis.

If you don’t enjoy that status, if you wish to remain in the UK for more than 3 months, you will need to get a job and corresponding authorisation to work, unless you are exempt from work authorisation requirements (see below).

Check before you travel on June 19 and 20

Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme work card